The first time I saw an angel and a demon fighting over me I thought they were dancing, and I thought it was beautiful. The way they fight is not the way we fight--but then again, neither is the way they dance. Or maybe it was just that there's really not much of a difference between dancing and fighting. Whatever the reason, it was beautiful then, and it is intriguing now. I thought it was beautiful because no one had ever fought or danced for me before.
I would see them as I lay in bed before I went to sleep, and in my dreams. Sometimes I would see them when I was at the lunch table, and no one would understand what I was smiling at. Joseph thought that I had a crush on Hailey, since they would often dance, or fight, behind the spot she sat at during lunch. To be honest, I would not have been able to tell you the color of Hailey's hair if you asked me. What I could tell you is that angels never trip over toys on the ground, or sticks, or bicycles. I could tell you that an angel's wardrobe consists of much more interesting things than white robes, and that a demon's skin is not actually red. I could also have told you that I did not care to say the things I noticed about the demon, because, even then, I didn't want to admit that I was drawn to it.
One time, Hailey asked me why I was staring at her, and I told her that it was because I had always wanted to know how to dance. I was certain that she couldn't see what I could see when she blushed, pushed a leaf across the ground with her left big toe, and said that she would only dance with me if I knew how to sing "Dancing Cheek to Cheek" by Fred Astaire. If I knew then what I know now, I would have told her that "Dancing Cheek to Cheek" is by Irving Berlin, and Fred Astaire only sings it, and that I was not dressed properly for dancing, and that I didn't really want to learn how to dance, I wanted to learn to fight. But since I didn't know any of those things, I told her that Fred Astaire is for girls, and continued to eat my lunch.
No comments:
Post a Comment